Search This Blog

Monday, November 16, 2009

"And it made her look like a corpse to me, made me look like a corpse to her. 'there-' she said, 'that's what we'll look like when we're dead.'"

This is from Kurt Vonnegut's Mother Night. A fictional memoir about an American spy in WWII Germany named Howard W. Campbell, Jr. In the scene this quote was taken from he's describing a scene where his mother lights an alcohol fire in a saucer (presumably because she was a mentally unstable alcoholic). He says that he and his mother were afraid to talk to each other from that point forward.

1 comment:

  1. Here's some book quotes since you don't want my movie quotes anymore...

    "I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."

    I know you'll roll your eyes at this one, but its my favorite Gatsby quote:

    "He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning-fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete."

    "Stars, hide your fires! Let not light see my black and deep desires." ~Macbeth

    I think i feel sufficiently deep now, don't know if you'll use any of them. But i like them...

    ReplyDelete